Translate

Friday 26 July 2013

The Finished Wall.....

Well my last post left off with my wall plates all painted, but they weren't yet ready to hang, so I started googling. I knew I definitely didn't want those hangers were you see 4 little prongs on the outside, so I googled invisible plate hangers. The first thing that came up were these, and they were just what I wanted



But, not only would I have to order them off amazon and wait, they were between £2 and £3 each and I had 9 plates to hang. Lets not forget what inspired my plate wall in the first place,Free Kirsie's Fill Your House For  Free and I'm sure when the lovely Kirstie Allsopp made the programme she wasn't expecting anyone to go out and spend nearly £30 on something to hand a project that cost £6.00. 
I obviously then typed in DIY invisible wall hangers ( what did we do before google? ) and lo and behold there it was, hot glue, large paper clips, and a bit of felt, except I only had the large paperclips!! But I'm nothing if not industrious, so instead of hot glue out came this......

And instead of felt, I raided the childrens craft box and cut some foam circles into strips, et voila, invisible wall hangers....... for free!!


I'm not sure I'd do this with any expensive plates I have, if it hadn't have worked it wouldn't have been the end of world if they'd ended up in pieces on the floor.
I left them for about 9 hours to cure, just to be on the safe side, and then I got hanging.
I'd like to say I made paper templates, blah blah blah, to get the placing right. I didn't, far to faffy. I just hung one at time, took a step back after each to see where I wanted the next.
And here it is.... not great photos I know, but a photographer I'm not.



The bottom shot shows the true colours best, and made me even more determined to find a new lamp. I love the shadows the glass crystals make on the wall, but I think a tripod or industrial type lamp would look amazing in this space! I'll keep you posted on that one!
Oh and nearly forgot, my verdict on wall plates, I'm definitely thinking Fab.




No comments:

Post a Comment